Monday, November 24, 2014

Foundation! How do I love thee?

I love foundation. Like a moth to the flame, when a new foundation launches I'm there at the counter, online with Sephora or hunting the aisles of Walgreens. I don't discriminate - luxury, mid range or drug store, if it's new I want to try it. I do sometimes use restraint and wait a few weeks. When I'm feeling prudent, I try to get a sample from Sephora or Nordstrom when possible before diving in head first.

I have a few on my current hit list. I need to catch my breath after the Sephora VIB sale but as soon as I do, here I come! Revlon has reformulated Photostay. Loved the original, it's in my rotation and looking forward to the new one.  Lancome's Nude Miracle is their version of the new serum consistency foundation craze. NARS has launched a powder foundation, All Day Luminous and Laura Mercier has launched a pressed version of her magnificent loose mineral powder foundation.

You might be wondering what my favorite foundations are. Hard to say. It's complicated to foundation fanatics like me. What's the weather? How long will I be wearing it? Do I want to look made up or natural. Never mind, I never want to look natural. What will the lighting be? Am I going for a glowy look or a matte look? To me, choosing my foundation for the day is like choosing my perfume or lipstick or eye shadow or shoes for the day. I wear something different each day, don't you?

If I had to pick one foundation for every situation, it would be Guerlain Lingerie de Peau. Depending on the weather, I select the right primer and may need to blot or powder during the summer. My color is 03 for my NC30 skin color (medium with warm undertones).  In the summer, I mix it with a bit of liquid bronzer.  I can apply this foundation with a brush, the Beauty Blender or my fingers and it is always perfect on me.

Other favorites are Tarte Amazonian Clay applied with a dense synthetic brush, Cle de Peau Cream foundation with a Beauty Blender (this one gives my Lingerie de Peau a run for the money for all around favorite), MAC Studio Fix Powder foundation with a flat top brush, L'oreal True Match with a Beauty Blender, Maybelline Dream Wonder Fluid (another all around favorite)  with my fingers, Diorskin Star with a Beauty Blender, Revlon Fit Me with a brush or fingers, Chanel Vitalumier Aqua with fingers, L'oreal Visible Lift with a Beauty Blender, and Hourglass Illusion with a Beauty Blender.  YSL Fusion Ink might be on this list soon. It's winning me over big time. I'm in the process of whittling down my collection to the top 20. Not mentioning how large the current collection is.

Some recent disappointments were Estee Lauder Perfectionist, Chanel Perfection Lumiere Velvet, Becca Ultimate Coverage Complexion Creme and Givenchy Teint Couture. I couldn't put my finger on it but the EL just did not give me a healthy look, Chanel Velvet was flat on me, could not find a color match with Givenchy, and I fondly refer to Becca as casket makeup. At the drugstore, L'oreal Visible Blur had almost sheer coverage on me and Cover Girl Get Gorgeous was not kind to my pores plus not a color match.

I have one criteria above all and that is a perfect color match. If I can't find a perfect color match, game over.

Have I mentioned that aside from finding the best application method, I also have certain primers I wear with certain foundations? I won't leave you hanging. My number one favorite primer which works with almost all my liquid foundations and oily skin is Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer.

Cheers,
Lulu

Let's connect on Instagram
Let's connect on Facebook
Although I haven't filmed in ages, here's my YT channel YouTube

See that box up near the top, on the right? Subscribe by email - hope you do! 






No comments:

Post a Comment